We acknowledge the Stó:lō unceded traditional territory of the Pilalt, Sema:th Ts’elxwéyeqw and tribes upon which we live, learn, work, and play.
I’ve had the privilege of calling Chilliwack home for the past eight years. My wife and I set our roots in this community, and we’ve started our family here, welcoming our second child last year. We both sought to learn about and invest ourselves in Chilliwack, something that came easily through public service and volunteer work in the community. With every year, we’ve learned a little more about the challenges Chilliwack faces and the successes our community has shared.
David Swankey, Chilliwack School Board
Four years ago, I was elected to the Chilliwack School Board, a responsibility I am both humbled by and grateful for. I remain steadfast in the belief that a robust and locally accountable public education system is essential to the health of our community; it is the best opportunity to ensure every child in our community has the opportunity to succeed.
Looking back, I am confident in my contributions over the past four years. As your trustee I have been collaborative, capable and kind, treating every discussion with respect. My commitment through the next term is to maintain that same approach in the interest of supporting the integrity of the board and trust in it’s decisions.
Over this term, I have worked thoughtfully and diligently, embracing the learning necessary to serve in the position, and fostering leadership skills that have served both the district and the broader community.
I’m proud of the work I have been able to contribute to and the positions that I have had the privilege of holding. Those responsibilities and roles include:
- SD33 Education Policy Advisory Committee (EPAC) Chair 2018 - present
- SD33 Board - Districts’ Parent Advisory Council (DPAC) Liaison 2018 - present
- BC School Trustee Association (BCSTA) Provincial Councillor 2019 & 2021 - present
- BCSTA Fraser Valley Branch Executive & current Vice President 2018 - present
- BCSTA Legislative Committee member & current Chair 2018 - present
- Ministry of Education and Child Care Framework Review Program committee member 2022 - present
- Fraser Valley Child Development Centre (FVCDC) Vice Chair 2021 - present
- Down syndrome BC (DSBC) Board of Directors 2022 - present
- Cycle Chilliwack Co-Chair 2017 - present